Orlando mansion on the market for $2M was music school for 60 years
Even among the historic buildings that have been preserved in the neighborhoods around downtown Orlando, 624 Palmer Street has a storied past. While most of the older facades in Thornton Park or Colonialtown are coasting on the fact of their mere existence in a place as raze-happy as Florida, the mansion at 624 Palmer Street is filled with meaning for generations of Orlando musicians.
For over 60 years, the Lake Cherokee area home served as the Engel's School of Music, teaching aspiring pianists and classical musicians the way around their instruments. The school began in 1938 when Iris Engel moved her business from a small studio downtown to the home near Lake Cherokee. The family helped keep the school alive for over 60 years, with daughter Drucilla taking the reins in 1984, purchasing the building as her mother retired.
While it hasn't been a home-away-from-home for musicians in over two decades, it could still be a home for some lucky Orlandoan. The house is on the market at $2M.